Cross country sets season goals

Jennifer Gegoieng

The boys and girls cross country teams sat together during a team dinner while tailgating prior to the football game against Timber Creek. Their season started in August and wraps up with a final meet in November. The runners practice every morning at 6 a.m. “It’s rewarding coming to practice so early because I get to appreciate everything I have around me when I wake up that early,” senior Victoria Carpenter said. “Seeing others excited to run makes me feel so happy, and it’s a great start to my day.”

Kylie York, Reporter

The cross country team’s season began in August, and they have big expectations for the season. Both girls and boys cross country teams have made history in the past. Last season, the girls’ team brought home 3rd place at the UIL 6A State Meet and placed 20th overall at Nike Nationals.

Star runners Aubrey O’Connell and Tatum Castillo both have outstanding times at meets. Their next meet with be McNeil Invitational this Saturday, September 28th in Round Rock.

“Almost everyone on the team has a similar goal, to work hard and make it to the State meet,”

sophomore Rees VanVoorhis said. “Last year, girls placed 3rd out of 18 schools.”

Junior Rebeca Betanzo said the team works together and motivate each other to get the job done.  

“We all mostly have the same or at least similar goal for the team,” Bentanzo said. “We motivate each other and do whatever it takes to accomplish whatever that goal is.”

For the boys team, sophomore runner Connor King’s main goal is for them to make it to this year’s state meet.

“The team trained really hard this summer, and we want our hard work to pay off, and make it to the State meet this season,” King said. “I can already see our teamwork and dedication really paying off during practices.”