Saudi oil attacks temporarily affect gas prices, New Mexico to vote on free college plan

Publishing every Friday, The Top 2 recaps the two most notable and important stories from the week (Saturday-Thursday). Assistant Editor Ryan Stanley covers topics ranging from issues in the U.S. to problems worldwide. For more information on stories, refer to the embedded links within the article.

Catherine Jackson and Renee Watters

Publishing every Friday, “The Top 2” recaps the two most notable and important stories from the week (Saturday-Thursday). Assistant Editor Ryan Stanley covers topics ranging from issues in the U.S. to problems worldwide. For more information on stories, refer to the embedded links within the article.

Ryan Stanley, Assistant Editor

1. Two Saudi oil facilities were struck by a possible combination of missiles and drones on Saturday. Houthi rebels based in Yemen claimed responsibility for the attack. However, the origin of the weapons remains uncertain, but strong evidence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who called the attack an “act of war,” points toward Iran.

Why this matters

Approximately 5 percent of the global oil supply was destroyed triggering a short-term five to ten cent increase in gas prices, which are predicted to stabilize by the end of September. U.S. petroleum reserves released by President Donald Trump aided in the lessened impact of gas price increases. The attacks add onto a string of events that have increased tensions between the U.S. and Iran. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s rhetoric indicates a strong reaction toward Iran if evidence confirms the weapons originated within their borders.

2. The free public college and university plan put forth by New Mexico Governor Lujan Grisham aims to attain the state’s legislative approval. The Governor’s plan includes a yearly price ranging from 25 to 35 million, but will help 55,000 students attend higher education every year. Unlike states such as New York, Oregon and Tennessee that guarantee free tuition only to certain students, New Mexico’s plan guarantees free tuition regardless of family income.

Why this matters

The average yearly price of a four-year university in 2016-2017 was 41,468 dollars. If the plan is approved and becomes/proves successful, other states may decide to follow suit, similar to Oregon’s move to legalize recreational cannabis following the success of Colorado and Washington’s programs.

Notable mention:Colt Defense to Stop Producing AR-15 Rifles for Civilians