Ana Arredondo

Hope Squad plans National Suicide Prevention Week activities

September 9, 2019

National Suicide Prevention Week takes place from Sept. 8 through Sept. 14.  Organizations raise awareness through social media or organize events such as walks to fight suicide. Currently, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States. Statistics are from the American Foundation Suicide Prevention.

Every year, organizations such as the Lifeline and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) raise awareness for suicide prevention through the month of September. National Suicide Prevention Week will take place through Saturday, Sep. 14.

The Hope Squad class arranged a series of activities for students to participate in this week. To raise awareness, students should wear yellow attire on Friday, Sep. 13 to support suicide prevention.

“Suicide prevention week holds so much importance,” junior Hope Squad member Carmen Mijares said. “Suicide is something that unfortunately happens every day. This week allows us to promote its prevention and spread some love. The Hope Squad is preparing different acts of kindness and activities throughout the week to let everybody know they are loved and worth living.”

Suicide prevention week holds so much importance. Suicide is something that unfortunately happens every day.

— Carmen Mijares, junior Hope Squad member

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline organization created a hashtag to spread awareness throughout social media. #BeThe1To is the message they wish to communicate in regards to the actions one can take towards preventing suicide.

According to the Lifeline, preventing suicide begins by being the one to ask if someone at risk is okay in a caring way. Then, help keep the person safe by minimizing harm around them. When a person listens without judgmental thoughts, someone in danger will feel more hopeful and less depressed. Helping a person at risk stay connected to individuals who provide support will help them feel more secure. Lastly, be the one to follow up after.

“Many people don’t get the opportunity to help those with mental health illnesses in their everyday lives,” Mijares said. “And luckily, that’s what this week is all for.”

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255. You are never alone.