Review – Melanie Martinez’s “K-12” album conveys the dark side of childhood

Atlantic Records

Caleb Audia reviews Melanie Martinez’s sophomore album, “K-12.” The album was released on Sept. 6, as well as a film. “The 13-track album, being 46 minutes long, gives a perfect experience to listen along to while in school,” Audia said. “Martinez definitely gives fans a reason to keep open ears as her success is just now beginning.”

Melanie Martinez - Detention [Official Audio] from YouTube

Caleb Audia, Reporter

Melanie Martinez finally dropped her highly anticipated album, “K-12.” This is Melanie’s second studio album, and it released on Friday, Sept. 6. The album came with a film, also titled “K-12,” and debuted in theaters across the globe, as well as on streaming platforms, such as YouTube. The 13-track album, being 46 minutes long, gives a perfect experience to listen along to while in school.

Martinez released her debut album, “Crybaby,” on Aug. 14, 2015, and was greeted with a ton of exposure. The album seemed to blow up overnight, peaking at No. 4 on the “Billboard Hot 200” chart. Now, with her new album and film, Martinez definitely gives fans a reason to keep open ears as her success is just now beginning.

The album starts with “Wheels On The Bus.” This song brings a very familiar, almost-comforting, beat followed by Melanie’s outstanding vocals, memorable to a childhood lullaby.

The second track is “Class Fight.” With a catchy vibe, it travels the listener through the lyrics, unaware of the message.

The Principle” brings a pop-like tempo followed by deep and rebellious lyrics. Many consider this to be symbolic of a political message. 

Show & Tell” provides a catchy beat, filled with a bass-controlled chorus. Also with assimilating lyrics, this selection promotes the listener to hit the replay button. 

The fifth track is “Nurse’s Office.” This song has a creepy-crawly type beat with visual lyrics. It also offers sound effects that the listener can’t get enough of. This track is famously known as Melanie’s favorite song on the album.

Drama Club” is a song that almost every listener can relate to. Melanie repeats over the almost mocking beat; “I never signed up for your drama club.”

As the seventh track, “Strawberry Shortcake” plays your typical, depressing track, known to be controversial. Melanie writes about what it feels like to be abused, and she takes on the role of, what it seems to be, a portrayal of a woman’s body.

Lunchbox Friends” rolls out a nearly-perfect vocal chop that makes the listener do a double-take. Blending into the pop-synth beat, the lyrics remain hidden. Martinez writes about wanting a real friendship, one where she is willing to die together. 

Orange Juice” sounds like a poppy ballad. Attempting to distract the listener from the lyrics, it instead reminds you to love your own body. 

Detention” is a catchy song with a perfect, down-tempo beat. Filled with pop-like lyrics, this completely transforms the listener into Melanie’s world. Many fans consider this to be one of their favorite songs on the album. 

As the eleventh track, “Teacher’s Pet” makes sure to keep your attention, reminding you that the album is not done. The song is about hatred hidden through the falseness of love and can be relatable to some.

High School Sweethearts” becomes a memorable song. Melanie struggles to find the perfect one and lays out her rules about relationships.

The album ends with the track titled “Recess.” This song is a slow-based tempo, bringing the listener back to reality. This track does a fantastic job leaving the listener to want more.