‘One more’ motto marks steps
to lacrosse championship

The boys lacrosse team holds up their 2019 DII State Championship trophy in celebration. The team beat Smithson Valley in the final game, 11-5 on Sunday, May 12, in the Texas High School Lacrosse League semi-finals and state championship at Ron Poe Stadium in McKinney. This is the first state championship win for Prosper boys lacrosse. “It was like a dream, Delano said. And, Im still waiting to wake up.”

Julie Parham

The boys lacrosse team holds up their 2019 DII State Championship trophy in celebration. The team beat Smithson Valley in the final game, 11-5 on Sunday, May 12, in the Texas High School Lacrosse League semi-finals and state championship at Ron Poe Stadium in McKinney. This is the first state championship win for Prosper boys lacrosse. “It was like a dream,” Delano said. “And, I’m still waiting to wake up.”

Boys team clinches the DII state title

“One more.”

This is the slogan the boys lacrosse team drilled into their heads as motivation to continue through their season. Practicing five or six days a week for two hours, the boys took one game at a time, and after one last game, the team claimed the 2019 district and super regional championships.

This weekend, May 11 and 12, the Eagles competed in the Texas High School Lacrosse League semi-finals and state championship at Ron Poe Stadium in McKinney. After losing in the championship game last season, the team beat Smithson Valley 11-5 in the final game, clinching the 2019 state title.

“I felt relieved and blessed that all the hard work finally paid off,” senior Cole Schmitt said. “Most of us seniors wanted to avenge our loss and terrible experience we had last year when we lost in the Championship Game. I feel we were all willing to do whatever it took to win.”

Along with their team trophy, three awards were given to individual players on Sunday. Cole Schmitt was named offensive MVP and Luke Teigen was the defensive MVP. The overall MVP was awarded to Jack DeLano, who came back after multiple injuries this season and the previous season, was named a DII All-District athlete.

“It was like a dream,” Delano said. “And, I’m still waiting to wake up.”

Multiple players have been playing for Prosper Lacrosse since it started seven years ago, co-founded by DeLano’s father, Marc DeLano.

“I’ve known these guys for so long,” Mr. Delano said. “Three of them started the program, and they’re seniors now. Every single one of them have really high character, and it is so great to see them succeed. I’m just so proud.”

The boys lacrosse team and coaches gather to take a picture with their trophy. The team welcomed new coach Corey Caputo this season. The Eagles finished the season with a record of 14-2. “They truly came together as a team and did not play selfishly,” assistant coach Charlie Ambrosio said. “My most rewarding part was watching this team of great young men grow into a family.”

The Eagles acquired a new head coach this year, but assistant coach Charlie Ambrosio got to witness the progress the team has made since last season.

“I feel the team has greatly improved this year from the following years,” Ambrosio said. “First, we have learned each other’s strengths and weaknesses. The confidence level of the team has risen due to the fact that we experienced a loss last year in the state championship and played with a chip on our shoulders this year. They truly came together as a team and did not play selfishly. My most rewarding part was watching this team of great young men grow into a family.”

The team ended the season with a record of 14-2. While players said some games were easier than others, the boys agreed that they had to keep their composure against tougher opponents.

“Most people who don’t stay calm under pressure have not fully prepared themselves,” Schmitt said. “My dad always says good luck is when preparation meets opportunity. Nothing good comes easy. … You need to put the work in.”

Five Prosper lacrosse athletes received a THSLL DII All-State award, including Zane Williams.

“[One more] means a number of things to me,” Williams said. “To me, it means one more possession, one more quarter, one more game, one more memory. It mainly served as a reminder to go the distance to get to our goal.”

This season was a year of firsts, with four players committed to play lacrosse at the next level. Lee Rowden will attend Palm Beach Atlantic Academy. Hayden Stout will attend Colorado Mesa University. Zane Williams will attend Rollins College, and Luke Teigen will attend Drexel University in the fall.

Texas state record-holder, with his 350th career point, Cole Schmitt shared a memorable life lesson from his final year playing high school lacrosse.

“Teamwork makes the dream work,” Schmitt said. “Without a great team effort, we would not have been able to accomplish our goal of winning Prosper’s first championship.” 

North District 2019 Awards

All-State

Cabe Parham

Lee Rowden

Cole Schmitt

Luke Teigen

Zane Williams

All-District

Jack DeLano

Hunter Sheffield

Hayden Stout

Honorable Mention

Tyler Trampas