Analysis: Eagles continue training through bye–week, look forward to homecoming game

Prosper Football heads into start of season, wins 1st home game
Arms out, senior Tayvin Labbe tackles a Rockwall Heath ball carrier. Labbe was a captain for this game where Prosper defeated Rockwall Heath 49 to 18. "I was really proud of how well as a defense we were able to adapt and adjust to their offense," Labbe said. "All week we were trying to prepare for something we wouldn’t be able to see and I think Friday night we executed and were able to read and react very well."
Arms out, senior Tayvin Labbe tackles a Rockwall Heath ball carrier. Labbe was a captain for this game where Prosper defeated Rockwall Heath 49 to 18. “I was really proud of how well as a defense we were able to adapt and adjust to their offense,” Labbe said. “All week we were trying to prepare for something we wouldn’t be able to see and I think Friday night we executed and were able to read and react very well.”
Isabel Multer

Working their way into a successful season, the Prosper Eagle Football team celebrated their first win at home Sept. 6 after being defeated by Westlake on Aug. 28. The team practices every morning and during their class period to prepare for each game. The next time the Eagles will take the field will be on Friday, Sept. 20 – which is also the homecoming game at Children’s Health Stadium.

From the start of the season, the team said it knew they had a challenge ahead of them when they were scheduled to play against Austin Westlake. According to Max Preps, Prosper is ranked 17, and Austin Westlake is ranked 8 in Texas.

Although the Eagles had a strong start to the match against Westlake and were in the lead for the first half of the game, junior quarterback Braeden Imhoff said the last quarter of the game was a challenge for the team.

“I believe the most challenging part of the season so far was watching the seconds tick down in the fourth quarter of the Austin Westlake game,” Imhoff said. “We had prepared so hard for the game, but we came back the next week and got a ‘W.'”

At the second game  Sept. 6, the team defeated Rockwall–Heath 49-18. Imhoff said that he works alongside the offense to make sure they are all on common ground.

“I work with my teammates by making sure the offense is all on the same page going into the week,” Imhoff said. “To maximize our capability to succeed.”

The next game will be against McKinney-Boyd Friday, Sept. 20, and it will be the last non-district game of the season. The first district game will be Sept. 27 against Plano East High School.

Football captain senior Leo Anguiano ’emphasizes’ how details are valuable when it comes to being on a football team.

“As a team we believe that the details matter,” Anguiano said. “At practice as a whole we are all detail oriented and focused on doing our job. Just that and playing for each other allows us to be successful.”

Anguiano plays running back, and this has been his fourth year in the football program.

“I’d say one of the most challenging things we’ve faced so far has been keeping our energy up from the first quarter to the fourth,” Anguiano said. “We struggled with that in our first game and it cost us the win. What we did against Heath is just a small sample of what we can accomplish when we have the same energy and intensity all four quarters.”

The Prosper football team is in the 6A division. Coach Tyler Moore is the head of Football and coaches them to a successful season. This is Moore’s second year as the head football coach at Prosper HS.

Junior Dallas Boozer plays the position of wide receiver, and this is his first year on varsity. Boozer said he’s determined to have a great season and build trust within the team.

“As a team we have to make sure we trust each other completely to do their job,” Boozer said. “We work year round to gain that trust to be able to compete at our highest level.”

The Prosper Eagle Football team redeemed themselves Sept. 6. after ther defeat by Austin Westlake. The next game will be on Sept. 20 against McKinney Boyd.

“Our first game of the season – we lost to Westlake. It was hard losing that game,” Boozer said. “Especially being up at halftime. We did a lot of great things during that game that helped us prepare for week two, and hopefully we can build on for the rest of the season.”

$709
$2000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Prosper High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.