Sliding lunches prove productive

Photographer Kester Muthalaly

Student Trett Johnson eats lunch

Kester Muthalaly, Staff Writer/Photographer

A new lunch procedure was implemented with seven sliding lunches on August 14 in preparation for 4000 students by 2020.

“We had to come up with a solution,” Principal Dr. Burdett said. “Otherwise people wouldn’t be able to eat lunch.”

Many will remember the long lunch lines of last year, and how they were given only minutes to eat their lunches in a crowded cafeteria. However, this year has brought positive changes.

“[Now] you don’t have to wait the entire 30 minutes,” Teacher Penny Wiseman said. “It’s because of the rotation, half of the students sit down and another half are actually in line.”

With shorter lines and smaller crowds, the new lunch procedure has proven itself successful in other areas as well.

Sliding lunches provide 15 minutes for Eagle Time daily, and by adding 16 minutes to the day, students have 30 minutes of study time.

“We [have] about 2,400 students in tutorials.” Dr. Burdett said. This change has been valuable and essential to many.

“Sometimes I am not able to come in the mornings or afternoons because I am busy, so [Eagle Time] is the best time for me come in,” AP student Caitlin Marquez said. “Honestly, if I didn’t have Eagle Time, I’d be failing,” said Marquez.

Although Assistant Principal Mr. Boehringer originally came up with this new policy, PISD Superintendent Dr. Watkins made the official decision to approve this action. From now until 2020, the new policy is here to stay.

“We don’t want to interrupt instruction and learning,” Dr. Burdett said. “Learning is paramount and we have to honor that.”