Prosper wins season opener against Beorne Champion behind Kaleb Adams’ impressive performance

Zach Markey, Sports Writer

The football team got off to a great start to the season Friday as they defeated Beorne Champion in Georgetown 43-17. Prosper took a 28-0 lead after the first quarter, and never looked back. The Eagles had a brilliant rushing performance all night, and the defense played excellent, especially in the first half.

Senior running back Kaleb Adams caught for 70 yards, while also rushing for 98 yards and 2 touchdowns. It was truly a great outing by the 1000 yard-rusher from 2016. In addition, both DJ Love and Wayne Anderson had rushing touchdowns, while adding 140 yards amongst them. Junior transfer Jostein Clarke also notched 2 touchdowns, despite having only 9 yards on the ground. Judging by the game plan Friday night, the Eagles look to pound opposing defense with the running game this entire season.

As for the passing offense, it was very quiet when taking account the lop-sided final score. Quarterback Keegan Shoemaker passed for a mediocre 126 yards, however he finished with a positive 0 turnovers on the night.

The defense for Prosper was superb Friday night as well. The Eagles were able to come away with 3 interceptions, and hold Beorne Champion to only 163 rushing yards, compared to Prosper’s 302. Keeping Beorne Champion’s run game to a minimum was a big part of the victory.

With this, the football team jumps out to a 1-0 start, with a full season ahead. The rushing performance is sure to turn some heads from other teams in the metroplex, and it will be interesting to see how other teams will try and combat it in the near future. Prosper plays Mansfield Lake Ridge this Friday for the home opener. The “Eagles Nest” is sure to be a buzz this week, as “Friday Night Lights” is finally in full swing.